Dear Prayer Igniter
Are your prayers changing eternal life reservations from hell to heaven?
MOMENTS IN MEMORY
On Wednesday morning 28th March 2012 just five weeks after Dad’s 90th birthday, Dad said to my sister Janet: “My Girlie, I just want to die.” And then he did! Although in great health, 25 minutes later God gave Dad his heart’s desire and welcomed him into heaven.
The next day his 3 sons were on 3 planes flying from 3 countries to Bulawayo Zimbabwe to join Janet and her family. God truly gave us a deep and joy filled week of celebration together. We cried a lot of tears however 95% of those were tears of laughter.
- I was 9, sitting at the Ndola airport in Zambia with Dad. He had just said grace over a perfect breakfast plate of eggs, bacon and fried tomato, when I got this lump in my throat, tears began to roll down my cheeks and all appetite for my breakfast was gone! Flying off to my first year of boarding school I was hit by something I had never known before, homesickness!
- I was standing outside Mum and Dad’s bedroom window at midnight waking them up with: “ I have just asked Louise to marry me.” Dad sat bolt upright in bed and says: “When?” “Oh not until I finish university, Dad.” Relieved his head hits the pillow with “OK goodnight my Boy.” (Although engaged, I never did marry Louise)
- Dad was a wonderful father, husband and a servant leader in the community and his church. He was known as Mr. Rotary in Bulawayo through his 44 years of service as a Rotarian.
I had the joy to lead Dad’s Homecoming Celebration Service, just as I did for Mum 10 months earlier. I shared the gospel message through his testimony at a Promise Keepers event.
DAD TAKES A TEXAS STADIUM STEP INTO ETERNAL LIFE
It was October 1994 and my dear friend Pastor Jerry Martin and I took 37 men, including my Dad, on a coach to the Promise Keepers event in Dallas. That Friday evening as the invitation to salvation was given to 75,000 men, I looked at Dad and said: ” Do you want to go up Dad?” While being in church virtually every Sunday of his life Dad did not know a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and responded: “I am such a wretched man and I cannot change myself.” The next words out of the speaker’s mouth were: “Men! If there are some you out there saying you can’t change yourselves, YOU ARE RIGHT! It is only Jesus Christ living in you through His Holy Sprit that can change you.”
The truth filled my Dad’s heart and mind and we walked a midst a river of men whose lives were being eternally changed. The angels in heaven rejoiced and the glory of the Lord filled the Texas Stadium. The added and glorious conclusion to that weekend took place at 2am in the car park of River Oaks Baptist Church. Our driver whose name was ”Angel” had heard the word and been prayed for much of the 9 hours of bus travel. He stepped off the bus and under a moon lit sky prayed with all of us, acknowledging his sin and his need for Jesus. As you read this you may be thinking of someone in your family who is not yet saved, so stop, be still before our wonderful loving Father in heaven and:
LET US PRAY NOW:
“Precious Father, I praise You that You desire none to perish but all to come to repentance. I lift ……. (Name the person/s you desire to accept the truth of Jesus Christ) to You today that You would pursue and woo them to Yourself. Enlighten the eyes of their hearts to the hope of Your calling to salvation on their lives, Lord may today be the day of their salvation, in Jesus name I pray, amen.”
SALVATION PRAYER POINTERS
- Pray without ceasing
- Pray with joy and an expectant heart
- Ask God to anoint you to pray with His power
- Pray for the lost wherever you go
NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER
THURSDAY, MAY 3RD
STEPS TOWARD THE SALVATION INVASION OF THE NATIONS